Apple and its health benefits
The apple tree is a deciduous tree in the rose family best known for its sweet, pomaceous fruit, the apple. Apples are an important ingredient in many desserts, such as apple pie, apple crumble, apple crisp and apple cake. They are often eaten baked or stewed, and they can also be dried and eaten or reconstituted for later use.
Nutritional values of Apple per 100 grams are
- Energy is about 218kJ
- Carbohydrates in apple are about 13.81 g in which sugars are about 10.39 and dietery fibers are about 2.4 g
- Fat content in apple are 0.17 g
- Protein in Apple are about 0.26 g
- Vitamin and minerals in apple are Vitamin A, beta carotene, Lutein Zeaxanthin, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorous, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc.
- Water content in apple are 85.56 g.
- Fluoride in apple are about 3.3 µg.
Apples are a rich source of various phytochemicals including flavonoid like catechins, flavanols, and quercetin and other phenolic compounds like , epicatechin and procyanidins which are found in the skin, core, and pulp of the apple those which are more valuable for human health.
Health benefits with apple are
- Preliminary research is investigating whether nutrients and/or phytochemicals in apples may be preventive against the risk of some types of cancer.
- Biting and chewing an apple stimulates the production of saliva in mouth which reducing tooth decay by lowering the levels of bacteria.
- Drinking apple juice could keep Alzheimer’s away and fight the effects of aging on the brain
- consumption of flavonol-rich apples could help reduce your risk of developing pancreatic cancer by up to 23 per cent.
- Women who daily an apple a day less likely to develop type 2 diabetes. This is possibly due to their polyphenol antioxidant content.
- soluble fibre found in apples binds with fats in the intestine, which translates into lower cholesterol level and keeps heart healthy.
- Fibre found in apples can help to beat diarrhea and constipation
- Fibre in apple can prevent straining too much when going to the bathroom which thereby Avert hemorrhoids.
- Apple is one one of the best fruit to detoxification of liver.
- Anti oxidants in apples helps in less likely to develop cataracts.
- The type of fiber in apples feeds good bacteria and may be the reason they protect against obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds in apple helps to regulate immune responses and protect against asthma.