Best food for people suffering with Irritable bowel syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a group of symptoms including abdominal pain and changes in the pattern of bowel movements without any evidence of underlying damage. The case is most common to women, It may effect people between teens to 40.
Irritable bowel syndrome is classified in to four depending on symptoms
- IBS-D : In the condition where diarrhea is common.
- IBS-C : In the condition where Constipation is common.
- IBS-M :In the condition where both diarrhea and constipation is common.
- IBS-U : In the condition where both diarrhea and constipation occurs very often.
Disorders such as anxiety, major depression, and chronic fatigue syndrome are common among people with IBS as affects quality of work negatively.
Causes of the disease is specifically unknown but some conditions may trigger the situation and some theories regarding this
- gut–brain axis problems,
- gut motility disorders,
- pain sensitivity,
- infections including small intestinal bacterial overgrowth,
- genetic factors,
- food sensitivity.
- Onset may be triggered by an intestinal infection, or stressful life event
- rhythmic muscle movements
- bowel muscles spasm
- overreacting to mild stimulation.
Signs and symptoms
- abdominal pain or discomfort in association with frequent diarrhea or constipation and a change in bowel habits.
- Belly pains or cramps, usually in the lower half of the belly,
- Belly pain get worse after meals and feels better after bowel movement
- gas or bloating
- Harder or looser stools than normal
Food that helps you best when suffering from Irritable bowel syndrome
A “low-FODMAP” diet might help when you suffering from IBS, FODMAP are types of carb, in this the diet only limits carbs that are “fermentable oligo-, di-, monosaccharides and polyols.”
FODMAPs draw water into your digestive tract, which could make you bloated. If you eat too much of them, they can hang around in your gut and ferment.
Accoriding to some studies about 3 out 4 peoples suffering from IBS got relief after staring FODMAPs diet.
These types of carbs are FODMAPs, Fructose like Fruits, honey, high-fructose corn syrup, agave and Lactose like Dairy and Fructans like Wheat, onions, garlic, where as Galactans like Legumes, such as beans, lentils, and soybeans and Polyols: Sugar alcohols and fruits that have pits or seeds, such as apples, avocados, cherries, figs, peaches, or plums
Some safe to eat for IBS where in the condition you cant eat any thing are like White breads( not whole wheat or multi-grain), Toasted plain bagels, Plain baked potatoes (without the skin), Plain white rice, fresh bananas, Cream of Rice cereal, Pretzels, Fat-free Saltines, Fat-free fortune cookies, Corn Chex, Kix, Rice Chex, Rice Krispies, Honeycomb, or Corn Pops, Toasted plain English muffins, Plain angel food cake etc.,