Binge and purging Bulimia nervosa
Bulimia which is also known as Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by binge eating followed by purging. It is a psychological and severe life-threatening eating disorder. Binge eating refers to eating a large amount of food in a short period of time. Purging refers to the attempts to get rid of the food consumed.
Symptoms of the Binge diseases is mainly eating large amount of food in short period of time or lack of control over eating. In the same way Purging symptoms are going to bathroom after eating, using laxatives, diuretics and enemas.
Purging may not seen all the cases of Bulimia even it is not necessary, physically eliminating the food from your body by throwing up or using laxatives, enemas, or diuretics.
Physical signs and symptoms of Bulimia is Discolored teeth, increased weight or over weight, scars or growth marks on knuckles.
Causes of Bulimia are mainly with genetically disorder Psychological DNA also plays a role in the development of this illness, Serotonin in our body is responsible for over eating. Along with these Bulimia is triggered with stress, poor body image, anxiety disorders, low self-esteem or even boredom, history of trauma or abuse, depressed, stressed, or anxious.
Complications and effects with Bulimia are Breakdown of teeth, depression, anxiety, problem with drugs used for purging, suicide.
And side effects with Bulimia are mainly when you are suffering from Bulimia use or keeping your life in risk. Mainly dehydration due to purging, Vomiting, and diuretics can cause electrolyte imbalances in the body.
- Blood : It effects blood with anemia.
- Heart : Bulimia effects heart with Irregular heart beat, heart muscle weakened, heart failure, low pulse and blood pressure
- Body fluids : With Bulimia body fluids like Dehydration, Low potassium, Magnesium, and sodium will be effeted
- Kidneys : With the use of diuretics effects the kidney more.
- Intestine : Constipation, irregular bowel movement, bloating, diarrhea, abdominal cramping
- Hormones : In women Bulimia show effect on Irregular or absent periods
- Brain : Depression, fear of gaining weight, anxiety, dizziness, shame, low-self esteem
- Cheeks : Cheeks become puffy, swelling and soreness
- Mouth : Cavities, tooth enamel erosion, gum disease, teeth sensitivity to hot and cold food
- along with it shows it effects on throat & esophagus, muscles, stomach and skin.
Diagnosis of Bulimia is mainly depends on patients medical history and also by recurrent binge eating and regular purging through vomiting. Persistent purging behaviors, like excessive exercising, misuse of laxatives, and fasting and not having anorexia nervosa.
Treatment and medication of Bulimia are mainly cognitive behavior therapy and psychotherapy, also some selective medications like serotonin re uptake, inhibitors, try cyclic antidepressant. Along with careful nutrition and weight management.
In the following video you can see documentary about Bilumia nervosa