Cranberries are a group of evergreen dwarf shrubs or trailing vines in the subgenus Oxycoccus of the genus Vaccinium.
Nutritional values in 100g of Cranberries are
Raw cranberries have moderate levels of vitamin C, dietary fiber and the essential dietary mineral, manganese, as well as other essential micro nutrients in minor amounts.
- Energy – 46 kcal
- Carbohydrates- 112.2 g (In that sugars about 4.04 g and Dietary fiber about 4.6 g)
- Fat – 0.13 g
- Protein – 0.39 g
- Vitamins in Cranberries are Vitamin A (beta-carotene, Lutein Zeaxanthin), Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Vitamin B6, Folate B9, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K in al of these Vitamin C constraints about 16% and Vitamin E about 8%.
- Minerals are Craberries are calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, Sodium, zinc
- Other constituents like water is about 87.13 g are present in cranberries.
Health benefits with Cranberries are
- Urinary tract infection: Urinary tract infections refer to the existence of certain micro-organisms in the urine that exceed normal levels. These infections can develop in the bladder and cause cystitis in the kidney to cause renal parenchyma, or in the prostate, resulting in bacterial prostatitis. So that cranberry juice contains proanthocyanidins that possess anti-clinging properties, which prevent the bacteria from binding itself to the cells on the walls of the bladder. These compounds prevent these bacteria from multiplying and further and flush them out of the body through urination.
- Fight heart disease: They help to lower the bad cholesterol levels which can clog the arterial walls. It prevents formation of plaque in arterial walls (Atherosclerosis) which inturn reduces the risk of Heart stroke.
- Prevents scurvy : Vitamin C in Cranberries helps in preventing the occurrence of scurvy and other related diseases. As vitamin c helps in healthy functioning of tissues.
- As they are rich in fiber helps in smooth functioning of digestive system and give relief from constipation.
- Antioxidants in Cranberries helps in get rid of from body which helps in lowering anti aging process.
- Cranberries are antibiotic and probiotic which has ability to kill viruses, bacteria and pathogens and as a probiotic agent helps to breed good bacteria.
- They are rich in anti inflammation properties which in turn helps reduce inflammation in stomach, the colon and cardiovascular system.
- Antitumor Effects: The anti-tumor efficacy offered by cranberry juice is attributed to the presence of polyphenolic compounds within the fruit. Regular consumption of cranberry juice inhibits the development and spread of lung, breast, colon, prostate and other cancerous tumors.