Fiber rich food for good health
Fiber is dietary material containing substances such as cellulose, lignin, and pectin, that are resistant to the action of digestive enzymes.
Dietary fiber or roughage is the indigestible portion of food derived from plants which cant digest or absorb. As fiber is not digested by the body it passes relatively intact through your stomach, small intestine and colon and out of your body.
Fiber is classified into two types
- Soluble fiber : This type of fiber dissolves in water to form a gel-like material. It can help lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. It delays gastric emptying which in turn can cause an extended feeling of fullness.
- Insoluble fiber :This type of fiber is not dissolved in water, it is metabolically inert and provides bulking. Bulking fibers absorb water as they move through the digestive system, easing defecation.
Dietary fiber consists chemical compounds like non-starch polysaccharides such as arabinoxylans, cellulose, and many other plant components such as resistant starch, resistant dextrins, inulin, lignin, chitins, pectins, beta-glucans, and oligosaccharides.
Health benefits of fiber are
- Normalizes and maintain bowel movements and relieves constipation
- Lowers cholesterol level
- It also control blood sugar level
- It helps in weight loss by extended feeling of fullness and aids in healthy weight.
- It gives healthier bones
- Reduce Your Risk of Certain Cancers.
- Helps in have Healthier Gut Bacteria.
Daily recommendation of Fiber for adults are for men below age of 50 is about 38 grams and men above the age of 50 is about 30 grams and for women below age of 50 is about 25 grams and women above the age of 50 is about 21 grams
Fiber rich food that are healthy are
oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley, psyllium, split peas, lentils, black beans, Lima beans, Artichokes, peas, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Raspberries, Black berries, Avocodos, Pears, Bran flakes, Whole-wheat pasta, Pearled barley, Oatmeal etc.,