Heal your Pancreas
The pancreas is an endocrine gland (and it is also a mixed gland) in the digestive system of vertebrates. It produces several important hormones, including insulin, glucagon, somatostatin, and a pancreatic polypeptide which circulate in the blood. The pancreas is also a digestive organ, secreting pancreatic juice containing digestive enzymes that assist digestion and absorption of nutrients in the small intestine. It secretes digestive juice into the small intestine through a tube called the pancreatic duct. These enzymes help to further break down the carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids in the chyme.
Pancrease has two functions to do:
- Making insulin which helps to control your blood sugar levels
- Making enzymes that help in digestion of fat and protein.
Problems related with Pancreas if it not functioning well.
- Diabetes: Diabetes is a disease in which your blood glucose, or blood sugar, levels are too high.
Type 2diabetes, the more common type, your body does not make or use insulin well.
- Pancreatic cancer
- Pancreatitis: Pancreatitis is Inflammation of pancreas. It happens when digestive enzymes start digesting the pancreas itself. Pancreatitis can be acute or chronic. Either form is serious and can lead to complications
Acute pancreatitis: It is often caused by gallstones. It occurs and disappears in short period
Symptoms of the Acute pancreas.
- Severe pain in upper abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
Treatment is usually a few days in the hospital for intravenous (IV) fluids, antibiotics, and medicines to relieve pain.
Chronic pancreatitis: It does not heal or improve it get worse in over time leads to permanent damage.
Causes of Chronic pancreatitis:
- Heavy alcohol use
- Cystic fibrosis
- Hereditary disorders.
- High level of calcium and fats in the blood
Symptoms of Chronic pancreatitis:
- Weight loss
- Oily stools
Treatment may also be a few days in the hospital for intravenous (IV) fluids, medicines to relieve pain and nutritional support.
After that, you should start to take enzymes and eat a special diet.
It is also important to not smoke or drink alcohol.
Food that helps to rejuvenate Pancreas.
- Probiotic Yogurt: Probiotic yogurt helps replace and replenish the healthy bacteria in your gut, which is important for a healthy digestive system.
- Spinach: Spinach is a good source of iron and vitamin B, the two nutrients help in the proper function of the pancreas. Because of its anti-inflammation properties it helps in reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer.
- Turmeric: curcumin in Tumeric is effective in identifying potential cancer cells and aids in destructing these harmful cells without damaging healthy cells.
- Blueberries: Blueberries helps in lowering the blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes and it is also rich in antioxidants, helps in protecting the pancreas from Oxidative Stress Resulting from Free Radical Damage.
- Lemon, Limes, Kiwi: Boosts the release of vital digestive enzymes from the pancreas.
- Cherries: Rich Source of Antioxidants and Perillyl alcohol Act as Compound Related Prevention of Pancreatic Cancer.
- Garlic: Garlic contains a compound called allicin, which is rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to prevent pancreatic cancer.
- Broccoli: Broccoli contains high levels of sulfur-containing compounds that help detoxify several organs & pancreas. Reduces the risk of pancreatic and other forms of cancer.
- Red Grapes: Red grapes are rich in antioxidant which protect the pancreas tissues from free-radical damage. Help reduce the risk of pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant. Helps regulate pancreatic cells, Helps stabilize blood sugar levels so that it reduce the risk of diabetes.
In the following video, you can see that ‘how to keep pancreas healthy.’