Chapped or dry lips are a common problem that can be painful and unattractive. Common symptoms are dryness, redness, cracking, flaking, and tender or sore lips.
Causes Of Chapped Lips
The common causes for chapped lips are
- Weather change – heat or cold
- Biting your lips
- Licking your lips
- Touching lips with fingers
- Usage of excessive chemicals (Lipsticks)
- Sun damage
- Smoking and drinking
- Using lip balms with alcohol, retinol and menthol
Home Remedies For Chapped Lips
The home remedies for chapped lips are
Honey has amazing antibacterial properties and is one of nature’s best healing agents for chapped lips.
- Simply apply pure organic honey on your chapped lips several times a day.
- You can also make a paste of honey and glycerin and apply it before going to bed to enjoy softer lips in the morning.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help heal chapped lips caused by cold or dry weather.
- Simply apply pure coconut oil several times a day on your lips to keep them moist.
3. Rose Petals
Rose petals have skin nourishing properties as they contain vitamin E. They also help to retain the natural colour of your lips.
- Wash a handful of rose petals thoroughly in water and soak the petals in milk for a few hours. Mash the rose petals into a thick paste and apply the paste to your dry lips two to three times a day and every night before going to bed.
4. Milk Cream
Milk contains lactic acid that gently exfoliates the dead skin from the surface of the lips. The essential fats, vitamins, and minerals present in milk help to hydrate and nourish dried lips.
- Apply fresh milk cream to your lips and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then gently wash your lips with a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water.
5. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter, shea butter, and ghee, these different types of butter extracted from different sources mainly contain essential fatty acids that deeply condition and nourish dehydrated skin.
- Apply a small amount of cocoa butter on your lips and leave it on overnight.
- Alternatively, you can also use shea butter or ghee and leave it on overnight as well.
6. Aloe Vera
The healing qualities of aloe vera are well known. Putting a small amount of aloe vera gel on your lips daily will help them heal and relieve the pain.
- Cut the aloe leaf sideways and scoop out the gel into a container. Apply the gel to your lips and leave it on overnight.
This cool vegetable can be your best friend during summers, so utilize it to treat your dry and chapped lips. Cucumber is an excellent hydrating agent for the skin.
- Rub a small slice of cucumber across your dry lips gently so that the juice is applied well to them. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash your lips with water.
Take some ice cubes and wrap in a muslin cloth and gently massage to your lips in a circular motion.This revitalizes your lips, keeps it fresh and maintains water balance.
Sugar is an excellent exfoliant that can be found in every kitchen and used for treating chapped lips.
- Mix two teaspoons of sugar with one teaspoon of honey. Apply the paste to your lips and let it sit for a few minutes. Then use your fingers to gently rub the mixture around on your lips to loosen the dead skin cells. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
10. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice works to nourish the skin on your lips and prevent aging.
- Create a mixture of one teaspoon of cream with three drops of lemon juice. Place the mixture in the fridge for an hour and then apply it on and around the lips before you go to sleep.