Whether your hair is long or short, curly or straight, every woman dreams of having a luscious and healthy hair. Unfortunately, some of us are born with hair that is dull, dry, and frizzy by nature. And even if you were born with healthy, lustrous hair, dealing with dryness is inevitable when your hair is constantly battered by heat styling tools, chemical treatments, and pollution.
Home Remedies for Dry and Damaged Hair
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is very good for damaged hair. Packed with fatty acids, several antioxidants and vitamin E, olive oil heals the damaged layers by sealing the cuticle with moisture. It also protects the hair from further damage.
- Apply warm olive oil on your scalp and hair shafts. Massage gently for a few minutes, and then cover your hair with a warm towel. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Finally, shampoo and condition your hair. Follow this remedy at least once a week.
2. sandalwood oil
Mix a few drops of sandalwood oil with a few drops of olive or jojoba oil, rub the mixture between your palms, then smooth it through the ends of your hair for instant sleekness and a way to curb and condition brittle, flyaway hair. Alternately, squirt a few drops of hand lotion in your palm and smooth it through damaged hair.
Honey is a humectant, which means that it binds moisture to your hair shaft, keeping it conditioned.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients to get a consistent mixture. Apply this to your hair, starting from the roots and working your way down to the tips. Concentrate on the tips of your hair as they are the driest parts. Leave it in for 20 minutes and then rinse it out with shampoo.
4. Fenugreek seeds
Dry and damaged hair can be treated with regular application of hair masks. Fenugreek seeds or methi seeds are potential enough to pass the required amount of moisture to frizzy and dry hair.
- Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Mash them in a blender or mixer to make a paste. Now, add this paste to a cup of curd. The quantity of yoghurt for this home remedy depends on the length of your hair. Mix the mixture well. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to add an extra shine and soft texture to your dry hair.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar Mask
This home remedy is an effective way to repair damaged hair and infuse life back into the limp and dull hair.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 egg whites, then apply the mix onto your hair. Cover your hair with plastic wrap or a shower cap for about 30 minutes, then shampoo and rinse as usual.
Being rich in vitamins, fat, protein, essential fatty acids and natural oils, avocado can help repair your damaged hair. Avocado coats and softens the hair to keep it hydrated and flexible. It can also prevent free radical damage to your hair in the future.
- Depending on the length of your hair, mix the pulp of ½ to 1 ripe avocado and 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a blender until you get a thin, smooth consistency. Apply it to your hair, leave it on for about 1 hour and then wash it out.
Eggs can provide nutrients and nourishment that has been depleted from damaged hair. Egg yolks have protein, minerals and essential fatty acids that can nourish the hair strands and impart a natural shine. Plus, the enzymes in egg whites help cleanse your hair and scalp.
- Massage 1 whisked egg on your scalp and hair for a few minutes. Cover with a shower cap and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then, rinse with cool water and shampoo as usual.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is good for repairing damaged hair. Its humectant properties can soothe the hair shaft. It also contains enzymes, amino acids, and vitamins C and E that are good for your hair.
- Apply some aloe vera juice directly on your damaged hair. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
9. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is extremely good for dry hair and it’s one of the best home remedies for dry, damaged hair! It penetrates, moisturizes, rejuvenates dry hair, helps to nourish and conditions it.
- Apply coconut oil to your hair, leave it on for one hour or overnight and wakeup up with healthy hair, glowing with shine, beauty and health.
An excellent Ayurvedic remedy to promote hair growth and repair damaged hair is hibiscus. Hibiscus seals the hair cuticles with moisture and helps add shine and luster to dry, damaged hair.
- Heat 8 to 10 hibiscus flowers in 1 cup of coconut oil until charred. Strain, allow it to cool and then use it as hair oil. Massage this oil on your hair for a few minutes and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing your hair.
11. Rinse With Tea
After your regular shampooing, give a final rinse to your hair using a quart of warm, unsweetened tea to infuse dry hair with a natural shine. Tea can naturally liven up hair colour, so take care to use a kind of tea that works well with your hair colour. Brunettes should choose a black tea to augment shine and enrich their hair colour. Blondes should go for chamomile tea, as black tea can darken their tresses.
To add loads of moisture to your flaky, dull and dry hair, you can try banana mask for hair. Apply this once a week for healthy and shiny hair.
- Take one or two ripe bananas and blend it. If the pulp is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk to it. The pulp should be smooth with no chunks or lumps within it.