Jowar and its health benefits
Sorghum or Jowar is a genus of flowering plants in the grass family Poaceae. It is versatile crop that can be grown as a grain, forage or sweet crop. Sorghum is used for food, fodder, and the production of alcoholic beverages.
Nutritional values of Jowar are
- Jowar is a high-end source of phosphorus, calcium, protein and fiber.
- Calories in Jowar are 117
- Total fat are about 1 g
- Sodium – 10 mg
- Total carbs – 24 g
- Dietary fiber – 2 g
- Sugars – 2 g
- Protein – 3 g
- Vitamins and minerals in Jowar are Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and iron, fiber, phosphorus, thiamine.
Health benefits of Jowar are
- The presence of iron and copper helps regulate proper blood circulation, which fuels cell growth, hair repair and enhances overall functioning of the body.
- The fiber content in jowar could keep hunger pangs at bay by influencing satiety so which helps in weight loss.
- It is rich in fiber which helps to regulate the bowel movements, boosts metabolism and averts issues like cramps, bloating, gas and stomach ache
- It contains magnesium, calcium and copper that is responsible for stronger bones and tissues.
- The iron content in jowar ensures multiplication of red blood cells.
- Jowar also helps in regulating the plasma LDL cholesterol concentration.
- Antioxidant rich jowar which also rich in vitamin E and B, magnesium, and Iron helps to avoid many cardiovascular conditions. It also prevents the clumping of platelets which inturn reduces the threat of heart attack.
- 3-Deoxyanthocyanidins, a chemical composite in jowar could have anti-cancer properties.
In the following video you can see Jowar ka roti recipe