Know about Broccoli for good health
Broccoli is an edible green plant in the cabbage family whose large flowering head is eaten as a vegetable. It is one of the most important greens that one can eat. Broccoli is originated in Italy, the Italian name of Broccoli is “Broccolo” which resembles the meaning flowering top of the cabbage.
Nutritional values in 100g of Broccoli is
- Energy is about 141kJ which is about 34 k cal
- Carbohydrates are about 6.64 g in that Sugars are about 1.7 g and Dietary fibers are 2.6 g
- Fat content is about 0.37g
- Proteins are about 2.82g
- Vitamins in Broccoli are Vitaman A (In the form of carotenoids), Beta carotene, Lutein, Zeaxanthin, Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pantothenic acid (B5), Vitamin B6, Folate (B9), Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K.
- Minerals in Broccoli are Calcium, Iron Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, niacin and selenium.
- Other constituents like water is about 89.3g
Health benefits of Broccoli are :
- Helps in weight loss : It is a low-fat and low-calorie vegetable that helps fill you up quickly which that helps you to eat less that results in loss your weight more quickly.
- Boosts Brain power : Broccoli can also give relief from mental exhaustion and depression. Broccoli is good source of vitamin K and Vitamin B Complex. Vitamin K which is known to enhance cognitive function and improves brain power. Vitamin B plays a key role in improving mental stamina and memory
- Stops premature aging : Broccoli is good source of vitamin E, Vitamin B-complex and Vitamin C. Antioxidant Vitamin C in broccoli fights free radicals and prevent premature aging signs like fine lines, wrinkles and skin spots. Vitamin E and B complex helps in natural glow of skin.
- Anti-inflammation benefits : Broccoli is a great inflammatory because of isocthiocyanates and omega-3 fatty acids regulated inflammation. Because of anti-inflammation properties it helps in reduction of osteoarthritis.
- Eye health: It is rich in vitamin A, that plays key role in forming retinal, the light-absorbing molecules required for both low light and color vision. The two carotenoids, Lutein and Zeaxanthin shows significant impact on healthy eyes.
- Healthy bones : Broccoli contains high levels of both calcium and vitamin K, both of which are important for bone health and prevention of osteoporosis.
- Heart health : Broccoli can help in lower cholesterol because soluble fibers in broccoli bind with cholesterol in the blood makes cholesterol easier to excrete thus helps in reducing cholesterol. Less the cholesterol is good for heart health. It also helps in keeping heart blood vessels stronger. Sulforaphane an anti-inflammatory in broccoli reverse the damage of blood vessels.
- It also helps in preventing cancer.
- It helps in reducing allergic reaction and inflammation.
- As it is rich in fibers helps in easy digestion that means give relief from constipation.
In the following video you can see different ways to cook Broccoli