Palpitations is an abnormality of heart beat
Palpitations is a feel of heart beat characterized by cardiac muscle contractions where heat beat is too hard, too fast or skipping a beat or fluttering. You may feel the palpitations in chests, throat or neck.
When should consult a doctor
They are not such serious issues but some times in rare conditions it can be a sign of a more serious heart condition. So consult a doctor if you feel shortness of breath, Dizziness, Chest pain, fainting, head ache, sweating etc.,
Palpitation may be associated with coronary heart disease, hyperthyroidism, diseases affecting cardiac muscle such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, diseases causing low blood oxygen such as asthma and emphysema; previous chest surgery; kidney disease; low levels of brain serotonin, blood loss, and pain; drugs such as antidepressants, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, and amphetamines; electrolyte imbalances of magnesium, potassium and calcium; and deficiencies of nutrients such as taurine, arginine, and iron.
Causes of Palpitations
- They are caused by stress and anxiety,
- having too much of caffeine, nicotine, or alcohol
- They can also happen when pregnant.
- Extra-cardiac stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system
- Hyperdynamic circulation
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Sympathetic overdrive
- Vigorous physical activity
- Some Medical conditions like
- thyroid disease,
- a low blood sugar level,
- low blood pressure,
- Due to hormonal changes during pregnancy or menstruation.
- May palpitations during pregnancy are signs of anemia.
- Using of diet pills, decongestants, asthma inhalers, and some drugs used to prevent arrhythmias.
- Abnormal electrolyte levels
- Diagnosis can be done by physical examination
- medical history
- Medications, lifestyle and diet your maintaining
- circumstances of occurring palpitations
- Some times blood test are also
- Some other test useful in diagnosing Palpitation are
- Holter monitoring
- Event recording
- Chest X-ray
Treating palpitation will depend on the severity and cause of the condition. Some time they are not much serious they may go on their own but some times it may be serious If perfect cause was not found you should avoid habits that trigger the palpitations like Avoiding certain foods and beverages like alcohol, nioctine, Caffeine, illegal drugs etc.,
Easing anxiety and stress by practicing Relaxation exercises, Yoga, Aromatherapy etc.,