Quick Tips For Longer & Healthier Life
There are many stories that go round about ninety nine year old aunts who have never exercised, smoked their life away and have lived on a diet of everything that they fancy, from ice cream to red meat. Such instances might urge people to lead a life of unhealthy choices. However, it is to be kept in mind that, for one person who has lived a long life even after making unhealthy choices, there are countless others who have passed away prematurely due to such bad choices in life. There can be no alternative to choosing the right path for leading a long and healthy life.
Maintaining Better Health Through The Right Food
There is no alternative to following a healthy diet in order to lead a longer and healthier life. If you have a long life full of ailments, there is not much fun in leading such a life. Thus, even if it is more difficult to stay on the healthy side of things these days, making the right choices when it comes to your meal will go a long way to helping one to stay healthy.
A healthy diet needs to comprise of the following:
- Fruits – These contain rich amounts of different vitamins like C, D, K, E, A and B complex as well as minerals like potassium, zinc, magnesium, iron and fiber which are necessary for the normal metabolic activities of the body.
- Vegetables – These contain all kinds of fat soluble and water soluble vitamins, minerals as well as anti oxidants and compounds like zeaxanthin, anthocyanin, lutein and other compounds which help in the absorption of the vitamins and minerals in the body and to fight off toxins and pathogens which can cure different ailments.
- Lean Protein – Specially of the animal kind obtained from chicken, lamb, beef, turkey, eggs and pork help the cells and tissues to rebuild and repair, organ development and repair and proper functioning and well as many metabolic activities are dependent on the right intake of protein.
- Whole Grains – These food items contain complex carbohydrates as well as vitamins like D, K and minerals like magnesium, potassium and iron which can help to fortify the system.
- Nuts – These are considered good sources of vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and good cholesterol
- Seafood – Such food items contain many trace elements; zinc and iron which help fortify the system.
- Fat Free Dairy Products – These are the primary sources of calcium and vitamin D above other nutrients which are responsible for the development of strong bones, hair and nails.
Following A Healthy Diet At Home And Workplaces
While we all know the kind of food items that need to be present in our meals, the right approach to meal planning and management of calories will go a long way to ensure that one leads a healthy and long life.
- One should plan their meals ahead of time to avoid being tempted by unhealthy food choices
- Unhealthy ingredients should be replaced by healthy options such as opting for wholegrain instead of white flour or processed food product.
- One should consume smaller portions of food and eat after small intervals of time
- One should slow down their eating process.
Increase Exercise And Levels Of Physical Activity
No amount of right food can save you if you do not get off the couch and exercise. Even if one is physically active in doing different activities, it will prove beneficial for their health in the long run.
- Exercise for at least thirty minutes in a day and five days in a week has been proven to lower the risks of diseases like cancer, heart disease, depression, diabetes and cognitive decline
- Exercise helps to keep the body weight in check
- Exercise helps to improve blood circulation which reduces the toxin levels in the blood as well as improves the skin elasticity
- Exercise leads to the generation of hormones which helps one to feel happy and leads to a feeling of well being and higher self esteem.