Sciatica a severe pain in lower back, symptoms, causes, diagnosis, remedies and treatment
Sciatica is a panic problem that cause by the abnormal sciatic nerve (The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body.). It is a medical condition characterized by pain going down the leg from the lower back. Symptoms are only on one side of the body or sometimes both sides. Weakness or numbness may occur in various parts of the affected leg and foot. Depending on how it is defined, 2% to 40% of people have sciatica at some point in time and mainly it is more common in people’s 40s and 50s, more concern to men than woman.
- Spinal disc herniation : About 90% of the time sciatica is due to a spinal disc herniation pressing on one of the lumbar or sacral nerve roots.
- Spinal stenosis
- Piriformis syndrome
- Pregnancy : Due to compression by a baby’s head during pregnancy
- Pelvic tumors
Risk factors associated with Sciatica
- degenerative arthritis of the lumbar spine
- lumbar disc disease
- slipped disc
- injury to the lumbar spine.
Sciatica is diagnosed with a physical exam and medical history
- Most applied diagnostic test is the straight leg raise to produce Lasègue’s sign,
- Imaging tests like
- Computerised tomography or magnetic resonance imaging used in diagnosis of lumbar disc herniation.
- MR neurography in the diagnoses of piriformis syndrome is controversial.
- Treatment options for sciatica depend on its cause and include addressing the underlying cause and physical therapy.
- Medication : Evidence for pain medication is poor.
- Discectomy : Surgery for unilateral sciatica involves the removal of part of the disc
- compression is needed in cases of epidural abscess, epidural tumors, and cauda equina syndrome.
- Alternative medications like spinal manipulation is an effective treatment for acute sciatica
Some Remedies for Sciatica
- Massaging is one of the good home remedy which can done easily at home by using different kinds of essential oils. Daily massaging for 2 to 3 times a day can give you quicker relief from this panic problem.
- Hot or cold compresses can be very helpful to get rid of sciatic pain, Compresses is effective in giving relief from muscular pain like sciatica.
- Add one tea spoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm water and drink it is very good for treating sciatica.