Statistics and unknown facts about Thyroid
Thyroid is gland in neck which secrets hormones that affect metabolism. Thyroid disease is a medical condition that affects the function of the thyroid gland. There are two types of thyroid diseases hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism and symptoms and causes also vary based on the type of disease.The most common cause of thyroid disorders worldwide is iodine.
Symptoms related to Hypo thyroidism are
- Weight gain
- Hair fall
- Skin become dry
- Becoming strain easily
- Missing menstrual cycle
Symptoms related to Hyper thyroidism are
- Weight loss
- Speed heart beat
Statistics related to thyroid diseases are terrible now a days
- Women are two to 10 times more likely than men to develop hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
- Hyperthyroidism affects one in 500 pregnancies.
- About four to 10 percent of women have postpartum thyroiditis.
- People older than age 60 have a higher incidence of thyroid disorders.
- According to Indian Thyroid Epidomolgy study, Hyderabad stands in 5 places in India where people suffering from Thyroid disease there are about 8.88%. In which Kolkata stands in first place
- Hypothyroidism can occur in children also. In a clinic-based study from Mumbai, out of 800 children with thyroid disease, 79% had hypothyroidism.
- Common causes of hypothyroidism in these children were thyroid dysgenesis, dyshormonogenesis, and thyroiditis.
- National level survey People on India on an average at the age 18 about 10.95% people are suffering from Thyroid disease. In which 15.86% constituents women and 5.02 % people are men.
- About 50% people don’t know that they are suffering from thyroid disease
Main causes of thyroid disease are
- Lack of nutrition
- Lack of Iodine
People suffering from Thyroid diseases according to ages
- Between 18 to 35 years 7.53%
- Between 36 to 45 years 12.22%
- Between 46 to 54 years 13.11%
- 55 and above age 11.62%
Indian Thyroid Epidomolgy study result shows
- Hyperthyroid Patients
- India Level – 10.95 %
- Patients Know that they are suffering from Hyperthyroidism
- India Level – 7.48%
- Patients Dont know that they are suffering from Hyperthyroidism
- India Level – 3.47%